Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Time to Say Thanks

I usually consider my fall marathon to be the end of my racing season for the year as the next few months are recovery and a shift back to base training with a few 5k's thrown in for fun. So its like the end of the year for me and I always get to thinking about what has happened through the months both good and bad but I think especially of those people I feel I owe thanks to. So don't read if you don't like the mushy sentimental stuff... :-)

Kelly Roe & Brian Gaines: The last few years I had been struggling with the balance between my running and the rest of my life. I was burned out, not racing well, had growing responsibilities that came with my growing children, and I plain old was tired. I had recently let go of my coach and was truly bummed. But one cannot be bummed about running and racing with Kelly and Brian around. Thank you both for helping me find my "inner" runner and bringing me back to truly love what I do. You both have helped me more than you can know and I totally love being involved in your races.

Jenny Garrison: Jenny is a two time national triathlon champion and about 11 years my junior. She just burns with energy and I have benefitted so much from being able to train with her. Thank you Jenny for being on my door step at 5am twice a week and many times on the weekend. Running your workouts helped get some of that turnover back into my old legs and I love how I can talk to you about anything. Jenny is one fierce competitor and she helped wake up my competitive drive again. Now have your baby already and get back, I miss you.

Jen Skowronski: Jen is my personal trainer and owner of Fitness Inside Out. I started with Jen over 2 years ago to address the weak points in my running form which centered mostly on poor core strength. Not only is Jen a great trainer she has become a great friend. She personally tailors my training for my running needs and has helped me become a more physically and emotionally balanced athlete. Thank you Jen for truly caring about my goals and dreams and especially for listening to me as I sorted out how to balance my personal life with my running and racing. You are the best!

Dan Iverson: Running partner of over 10 years now and coach of girls cross country and girls distance track runners at Naperville North High School. Thanks for being on my door step at 5am 3 times a week and for all the countless long runs on the weekends. I know I can always bounce ideas off of you and get an honest educated answer. Your knowledge of training is vast and the energy you put into your coaching makes you one very special coach. The runners at Naperville North are very fortunate to have you. I'm fortunate to have you as a friend!

The runners I meet during races: It seems that in the majority of my races I have met up with other runners who end up working with me to get to that finish line. I often never learn their names but I wanted to thank them all the same. Thanks to Dave Schaefers for Bastille Day, pacer Bob at Chicago Distance Classic, Tom at Milwaukee, unnamed runner at the 23 mile mark at Milwaukee, and a series of guys with names unknown for the Fox Trot 10 Miler and March Madness Half Marathon. What a great sport this is!

Non-Runner friends: To all my non-runner friends who often seem a little confused by it all but support me all the same with their sincere well wishes and congratulations. They often seem amused by all my dashing around but my friends know what's important to me and they are there for me. Especially you Mary!

Fellow bloggers: To those runners who consistently post on my blog and also give me much to read and think about on their blogs especially Sam and Wendy. I give thanks to God for the fact that Sam is with us today by providing all the necessary angels he needed when he had his heart attack. Glad He decided you needed to still be here with us and I look forward to your first race back. Wendy, you are just cool and your blog rocks!

To anyone who has said I inspire them: That inspires me, period. To be a positive for someone gives me nothing but joy.

Now to the person I have everything to be grateful for:
Andrew Ohst: To my husband, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the years of support you have given me, for giving me the time to train without struggle, for understanding that "runner" is an important part of what I am and not asking that I change that. I love you and the family we have together. xoxoxoxox

OMG! - if you live through all that mushiness you deserve a medal!! :-)

Peace everyone!
RunnerGirl - Janeth

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janeth,

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad I'm able to help out in any way I can. It has been nice getting to know you more too, running aside and am glad that you're in my circle of friends.

You have to know that your running and outlook is inspiring to me and other slower folk alike. I enjoy listening/reading to your race recaps. Stay involved, as it definitely helps me.

Brian

Sam said...

Thank you Janeth.
It's been a challenging year:)

WendyCity Productions said...

Janeth, thanks for the shout out! You're very sweet!

Anonymous said...

Janeth,

Thank YOU for inspiring me! I'm really glad to be able to chat with you about running and other stuff. It's so cool to know someone who actually WINS races, yet can totally relate to my own running experiences. :-)

I look forward to hearing about your six-pack quest and Boston training. Your stories will continue to motivate me to achieve my own goals.

YOU ROCK!

Kelly

Anonymous said...

I feel the same about you! Waking up and running with you helped MY running tremendously! I have alot of work to do when I do come back. I expect you to help me break 38 or 37 min in triathlon by next year! Thanks for being someone to look up to!

Jenny

RunnerGirl said...

Jenny,
You got it! Sub 37 10k coming up :-)
Janeth

WendyCity Productions said...

Guess what? Runners World is going to post my little video on their website's home page! It should be up by Monday, they told me. Woo hoo!

www.runnersworld.com

Have a great weekend!

- Wendy

RunnerGirl said...

Wendy,
No flipping way!!! Sweeeeeet. You are like FAMOUS.

I will keep an eye out for it, I'm on that site everyday during the week.

I know Wendy. I know Wendy. I know Wendy. na na hey hey :-)
Janeth

WendyCity Productions said...

Here's my latest little documentary on my 2007 Chicago Marathon experience. This is Part 1. Very amateurish, so I apologize for the quality. Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kjGm0l2tD7o

WendyCity Productions said...

Part 2 of my marathon YouTube-umentary (and that's it! I won't clog up your comments with anymore of these, I promise!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SHqnsHi27o