Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Brian Completes 50 Miler and Paul Completes 1st Marathon

Congrats to Brian Gaines and Paul Clement for their race finishes on Saturday.

For Brian this was THE race he had been planning and preparing for all year. A stress fracture in June really held Brian back as he missed months of training while it healed. As soon as he was able he was back on the road and was able to put in a 10 miler (speed walked), two marathons (one walked, one run), and a 33 miler before getting on the starting line of his 50 miler. (my apologies if I forgot a race or two).

Although the wind provided some challenge in some parts, and physically there were some rough patches Brian had to work through, he successfully made it to the finish line and did so in admirable and respectable fashion. We are all so darn proud of him! Way to go Brian!!

Here are some pictures take by fellow ChiA runner Kelly.

Brian during Loop 2, on his way to Northerly Island, with the Adler Planetarium in the background








In the final stretch, spelling out 5-0 with his hands





All smiles after 10 hours, 11 minutes, and 57 seconds of running








Now we go to Paul. A.K.A. "Mr. I don't run more than 6 miles and I don't run on pavement Paul." Its been quite a year for Paul as he not only ran more than 6 miles on a regular basis he actually ran in his first marathon after not having any real plans to do so until just recently. He picked the most low-key, no frills marathon I've ever seen and did a great job with it. (No miles splits on the course, can you image that?? You guessed it I'm not an ultra runner!) I guess he figured all the training he went through to help pace Kelly in the latter half of her marathon needed to be put to good use. I love stuff like this! Way to go Paul!















Paul finishing his first marathon. 4:46:31

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Janeth, what a great race. I'm glad that I was healthy enough to run this one. It was a long way, but I'm surprisingly feeling great right now. Surely, a beautiful day to run a 50 miler in Chicago.

As far as next year is concerned, nothing is set in stone, but I’m thinking about doing the Illinois Ultra Grand Slam (Clinton Lake 30, McNaughton 50 miler, Rock Cut 50K, Farmdale 33 miler). They’re shorter ultra’s, but I think that’s where I’m at right now.

Sometime next year I think I would like to also attempt a 100k and/or a 12 hour timed run and push for 60-65 miles I would likely do some Marathons as training runs. As you know, I’m organizing a team to run the MC-200 relay in June, which happens to fall on the Friday/Saturday of the KM100, which happens to start on the Saturday morning. I may have plans to pace again for my runner Tom Riley at KM100 on that Saturday evening, but depends on whether he is doing this race or BigHorn.

In 2009, I will likely put myself in the lottery for the Western States 100. Tom has agreed to pace me at this race when I get selected.

Next year will be a busy year for me. I have expectations of improving my endurance and performance levels. As always, I appreciate your support you provide me throughout the year.

Brian

p.s. Now, I just need to start updating my blog, ugh!! I will soon enough @ http://briangaines.blogspot.com

WendyCity Productions said...

Congratulations, Brian! I hope both you and Janeth are able to catch the NOVA special tonight on WTTW, "Team Marathon Challenge"!