Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Training Log September 3rd - 9th, 2007

Weekly Summary
Total Miles: 41.5
With my knee issue finally resolved I had hoped to put in a stronger week starting with the Park Forest 10 miler as a hard workout. My daughter became ill the night before the race so I didn't race but that was probably good as my ankle that had been mildly sore through my whole knee issue was starting to take front and center on the pain scale. I had also hoped to finish the week out with a 20 miler as my marathon is just about a month away. That too didn't come to pass as I only did 10 due to the pain in my ankle. I still did manage to put in just over 40 miles this week and I'm pretty convinced the ankle thing is either really bad tendonitis or its just strained from the race and hasn't healed or both. I'm currently wrapping my ankle and it is improving slowly and I'll keep the mileage low and schedule cross training for some of my days next week. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing my marathon this year as I am woefully behind on my long runs and I'm not doing anything close to the amount of work I feel I needed to get done during these last few weeks. I'm okay with that and I'm going to focus on getting these injuries healed so I can get back to full training again. :-) I've got to be healed enough to run around at the Chicago marathon cheering on my friends :-)!!

Monday - 7
Had to back out today's race but in late afternoon I attempted a tempo run. I ran mostly in the 8:10 - 18:15's and it was very hot. It was a lot more work than it should have been. Definitely lost some conditioning over the last few weeks, but it was a good start as my first harder effort since all this knee business started.

Tuesday - 0
Work and family issues

Wednesday - 6
Easy run with Dan. Now he's the one with knee issues. I ran the last two without him. :-( Ankle really starting to talk a lot. Dan talked to me a little about how to tape my ankle for extra support.

Thursday - 6.1
50 minutes. Too hot to run outside for what I wanted to be a hard effort. Warm up 20 minutes, 3 x 6' with 2' easy run, run easy remainder of time. 6' intervals were done at 8.3 mph (7:13m/mi) 0 grade, and warm-up/cool down/recovery was done at 7mph 2 percent grade. I was pretty tired and the first 6' effort was very uncomfortable but the next two were much better. A few hours later my ankle was just screaming at me. Running on 2 percent grade probably wasn't such a hot idea. Ice and took some ibuprofen.

Friday - 7.5
With ankle wrapped very nicely I was able to put in a longer run and an easy tempo.

Saturday - 4.9
Time: 40:02 - 8:10m/mi. Ran a faster tempo today but it felt like more work than it should have been. Ankle wrapped well

Sunday - 10
Time 1:19:45 - 7:58m/mi. I decided to end this run with Dan at 10 miles to be safe. The ankle really hurt at the start and then would warm up, then would start hurting again etc. It was a good 10 miler at a good pace that didn't feel sub 8 at all.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Hope your ankle heals up soon. I'm getting stronger every day. Glad to be alive and walking right now and hopefully can run soon.