Sunday, September 23, 2007

Training Log - September 17 thru 23 - 2007

Weekly Summary
Total Miles - 27.5
During this week the ankle really started improving dramatically and then I was stupid enough to do a run on friday without any brace and it hurt the rest of the day. On a good note I was good enough to do a 10 mile tempo run (what I normally would do two weeks out from the marathon). I needed to see where I was at condition wise after all these weeks of limited running and no hard workouts. I was thinking that staying under 7:30 pace would be tough but I was pleasantly surprised to be able to average 6:52 a mile. My running partner rode his bike part of the way and was able to help monitor my workout. He said my form looked great and that I was running well. Great to hear as working on my form has been something I've really been concentrating on for the last few years.

I am considering running the marathon on October 7th to get my Boston qualifier in. I won't be able to "race" it but based on strength alone the qualifying time of 3:50 should be do-able. I will go for 3:25. I will see how things look the week of the marathon.

Monday - 3
Time 12noon.
Warmed up on the eliptical and it really felt awkward, I then went outside. Kind of tough in the city with red lights all the time but I took it real easy and the ankle faired okay. It actually felt better a few hours after the run, didn't swell.

Tuesday - 2.6
Time 7:15 pm.
Run 15 min prior to pilates session and then run home after.
7:30pm - Pilates session
Really hammered out a great session

Wednesday - 3.1
Time 12 noon, 31 minutes
Nice and easy 5k on the treadmill at work. Today I only wore the ankle brace during my run. Things are really starting to feel better :-)

Thursday
ELECTED DAY OFF

Friday - 6.8
Northwest Side Loop at 05:00 am with Dan.
Ran without a brace since the ankle was feeling so good but it was a mistake and it hurt most of the rest of the day. Back to running with a brace on.

Saturday - 2
6:50am - run 15 min prior to pilates session and then run home after.
7am - Pilates session

Sunday - 10
Time 7am/ 1:08:48 (6:52/mile).
Tempo 10 miler.
Ankle was sore to start but warmed up after a few miles. I set out to do a steady tempo 10 miler to see what kind of shape I was in for the marathon. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought staying under 7:30 might be tough but I averaged 6:53. Splits: 1 - 7:41 (ankle sore needed to warm up, partner needed to warm up too), 2 -3: 14:23, 4 - 6:49; 5 - 6:40; 6 - 6:28, (at this point I pulled back a bit as I was getting faster than aerobic pace and I wanted to stay true to keeping it a tempo pace); 7 - 6:43; 8 - 6:43; 9 - 6:42; 10 - 6:35.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Really great to read that you're IN for the marathon. I'll be looking for your report and wish you a great run and loads of fun.