Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bastille Day 5k - 2009



Thursday July 9, 2009
7:30 PM
1st Overall Female
18:51

Well this year I was definitely a lot more excited for this race. Injuries behind me for months now and steadily dropping 5k times had me ready to see what I could do on this super fast, super flat course. My main goal was to get myself back under 19 minutes again and I thought I had a good chance today. This race is a company sponsored race so I would be with all my running co-workers and they always make me happy and ready to go! Extra bonus this year was that Andy was coming as well and would be filming the race for me and everyone on the team.

So the day of the race comes and the weather is beautiful, unlike last year's massive rain, thunder and lightening. I warmed up with no feelings of anxiety or stress. I looked around a bit and saw just a few women who might pull me under 19 minutes. I chatted a bit with a few friends, did my strides, got a kiss from Andy and lined up.

The start:
As usual everyone went out FAST and I pushed a little bit harder than was comfortable but nothing crazy. One girl was out like a bolt and was soon out of sight. She was looking like she was going to run under 18 with the way she went out. I concentrated on getting around the first few turns and running strong, there was one other woman in the same area as me that I could see. I felt in a groove almost right away which was a really good sign.

Mile 1 - 5:59.9
Great! By this time I've dropped the woman that was near me at the beginning but I still cannot see the lead woman. I focus on getting to that next mile mark in as close to 6 minutes as I can. Gotta keep things going!

Mile 2 - 6:03.5
Yes! I'm working hard but breaking 19 minutes is looking like a reality for today but who is that I see? It's the lead woman! This is going to get interesting because I believe she is coming back to me...but will I have enough time? She still is way up there. I hate coming home after a race with regrets so I pile on some more pain and go after her. I see Andy about a quarter mile before the 3 mile mark and she has maybe 10 seconds now. A few more turns and I make my move past her. She fights and gains, I pass again and this time she let's me go. I'm in serious serious pain at this point and that 3 mile mark seems soooo far away. I briefly worry that I made my move too soon but I'm committed and I can't back down.

Mile 3 - who knows?!
I'm almost there! I just keep pushing and pushing, praying for that last turn that will take me to that finish line. I'm aware that my form is crap but I just can't get it together so I just keep grinding way. 5K's just hurt!

The finish - 18:51 (6:48.61 for last 1.1 miles)
No. Regrets. :-)

Once I recover, and I seriously thought I was going to lose my lunch, I shake hands with the 2nd place woman and go to see the rest of my co-workers finish. I find Andy filming at the last turn and help cheer everyone on. Most everyone had a great race out there! Congrats to all my co-workers (Brian Gaines, Kelly Roe, Kim Heitzman, David Chin, Jim Wood, Paul Clement, April Nowakowski) and a huge kiss to my husband Andy!

Results for top 5 women. Just look at the age of these women! No wonder I'm so tired, it's tough work fighting with 20 yr olds!


First Name

Last Name


Age

Time
Pace

Janeth

Salazar-Ohst

42

18:51

6:05

Heidi

Sarna

27

19:07

6:10

Kelly

Shuma

24

19:09

6:11

Kara

Ciccarelli

27

19:51

6:24

Amanda

Shike

23

19:58

6:27


NFA Runs Bastille Day 5k - 2009 from RunnerGirlJaneth on Vimeo.

Until the next race..

Peace,
Runner Girl

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Job! Great job kickin' the young ones butt! You looked smooth at mile 3 (even though you said you were hurting).

Good choice of Bands for the music of the video.

Mark

Kelly Gaines said...

Janeth!!! I'm so happy for you with your 1st place finish. You really kicked some young butt out there! Great job on the video, too. What a great night for everyone. Wish Bastille was like that every year!

Jenny Garrison said...

Love the video. I am hiring Andy to teach me how to do that. Great run way to kick it up at the end.

RunnerGirl said...

Jenny,
Thanks! Andy filmed everything but I put the movie together. I can help you if you want. Next time you are local I can film you and we can put something together. I'm no expert like my friend Wendy but for me its good enough. :-)

Mark,
You can see pain mostly in my eyes when I race and since I was wearing sunglasses its not so apparent. I can kind of see it a little as I make that last turn as I tend to make my face slack when I'm driving hard to not waste energy.

Kelly,
What makes races like this so great is when I'm racing with my friends! Good job on your time!