Friday, May 2, 2008

RunnerGirl Kyla Shines in First Mile Race

Kingdom Youth Run - April 26th, 2008
3rd Overall
2nd Girl Overall
1st AG 10 and under
8:47.5

Let's hear it for RunnerGirl Kyla in her first full mile race! She had done a few of those short little dashes a race sometimes puts on but today she was doing the "big kids" race. A whole mile! She wasn't even nervous!

I ran with her so I got to see the whole race right up front and it was really interesting watching her race. She hurt for going out so fast, not being experienced in running a full mile distance, but her ability to push was a little scary. I told her before the race that I wanted her to have fun first and foremost but there was nothing that was going to squash her competitiveness that day! I seriously thought she was going to dry heave mid race. She eased back just a bit, powerwalked twice for a few seconds each time, but as we circled around the block that would lead us to the finish line and with about a quarter mile to go she put the pressure on, broke the three boys or so that were still around her, tried to chase down the lead girl and flew through the finish line. She looked amazing.

8:47.5. I barely could run that fast as a 12 year old! She was all smiles at the end.

Kyla - making it look easy!

5 comments:

WendyCity Productions said...

Janeth, you are a fantastic role model for your little girl. The future holds great things for her, no matter what she endeavors. Speaking of great things, where is your Boston Marathon race report??

RunnerGirl said...

I know I know. I'm getting a lot of comments on my missing Boston report. I'm working on it, I really am. I'm having a lot of trouble organizing it, I tend to overthink things! My goal is to have it done by the end of the weekend.

WendyCity Productions said...

I'm working on a fun little video of our run together (finally was able to download the footage). Fun stuff with an 80's soundtrack for us gals of a certain age!

Sam said...

Congratulations on a great race Kyla!
I hope I can break 9 minutes for a mile soon.
I'm coming back from a setback but it's slow.
Ah, perservere...that's the key.
Good vibes to both of yo
Grandpa Sam

WendyCity Productions said...

Hey, Sam just posted an update on his blog! I saw him at the park across the street from my place and went out to chat with him for half an hour. He's doing great!