Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Kind-of disabled list

If anyone is wondering why my training logs have not been timely (okay so they are pretty much absent) is that I'm nursing a knee issue. I'm not sure what the deal is but it points to something a little more serious than just "runner's knee" My running is happening once every 2 -3 days and usually not much more than 3 -4 miles. I've finally secured an appointment to see my primary care physician and start the process of trying to get him to send me to someone who can actually tell me what the deal is. Most likely I will be cancelling my next race (Park Forest 10 miler) and depending on what I find out I may have to pull out of my marathon in October.

Pain started with my first run after the Chicago Distance Classic. Since I left on vacation the day of the Distance Classic I didn't run until tuesday and I had this weird sensation that my knee wanted to lock. I would be running and I would get this twinge of pain deep in the center of my knee joint. I can't even touch the area where the pain is coming from. Its not consistent pain but it happens maybe 3 -4 times during a minute of running. Downhills trigger pain and turning sharp corners does also. I walk without pain....I can just hear the Dr. now "Don't run".

I'm bummed but what I really want is a clear understanding of what is happening so that I can do what I need to do to get back to the roads. I'm definitely hoping we aren't talking surgery here but if that is what is needed then so be it. Of course it could be something really minor and it just needs time....I just don't know and I've never had this injury before in all of my years of running.

I see my primary care physician tomorrow. Let's see what happens.

Peace,
Runner Girl Janeth

2 comments:

Sam said...

Good luck with the knee. Healing up here so we'll carry on and see what we can do.

Mark K said...

Janeth - I just came across your blog. It is great to see you are running again and great to read about some of your past races. However, I am sorry to see that you are injured. Hopefully you will get good news from the doctor today - or at least start the path to recovery.

You might not believe this - but I have been converted into a runner over the past few years.

I hope we can catch up soon.

Mark Kramer