Monday, June 23, 2008

Hard Choices lead to Best Decision - Mohican 100 Miler

Brian started his first 100 miler on Saturday on great pace but in the end succumbed to foot blisters on feet that may not have been completely healed from his last 100K on May 3rd. Attention for the blisters were taking more and more time (by medical staff and by Brian) and the pain reached a level where continuing on would have required more suffering than was reasonable. Brian still completed an admirable 52.2 miles and had to contend with some scary weather as well.

The allure of the ultra distance race. Formidable challenges with NO guarantees. Hats off to Brian and his first attempt. We are all proud of you!

As my old coach used to say:
"Live to race another day."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Janeth --

In addition to the inability to continue running due to multiple blisters on fresh skin from Miwok's blistering issues last month, my feet remained wet due to the thunderstorms. I was drenched and was forced to walk 3 miles to the nearest aid station in the thunderstorms. Treading through stream crossings while seeing lightning flashes was not my idea of an enjoyable and safe adventure. Simple math told me that I would not complete the race in the 30 hour cutoff with the way I was going. As much as I hate quitting, this wasn't that hard of a decision afterall. Yes, I'm bummed, but at least I have my life and wasn't taken to the hospital like two others at this race; one who happens to be a reader of my blog and participating in the Illinois Trail Ultra Grand Slam series this year with me, Ed Kirk.

http://edibotrails.blogspot.com/2008/06/mo-life-or-death.html

Yes, live to run another race...

Thanks,
Brian