Monday, December 17, 2007

Santa Speedo Run - Spectator or Participant?

Get in a speedo, wear a Santa hat and run through Boston.

the following taken from http://www.boston.com/ae/events/articles/2007/12/12/dashing_through_the_cold/


The first Santa Speedo Run in 2000 was essentially a meaningless stunt conjured up by five friends in their mid-to-late 20s who thought, "we should do something stupid like we used to do," said Jonathan Ianelli, one of the founders of the race.

Their "stupid" idea was to run around the city wearing nothing but red Speedos while taking turns holding a portable stereo that played Christmas music by the Muppets. Passersby were stunned and amused by what they saw. Holiday shoppers stopped to cheer for the scantily clad pseudo-athletes.

"Just from that reaction, we realized people really liked it and that we could probably do something good with it," Ianelli said.

The fivesome began recruiting more friends to join the run and decided to charge a registration fee that would be given to a local charity. In 2003, they raised $14,000. In 2005, they raised over $50,000. This year, they're giving the money to the Women's Lunch Place in the Back Bay.

"It's great because we'll actually run by the church where they have the shelter," Ianelli said.

The day begins with morning drinks and registration at Lir, an Irish pub on Boylston Street. Participants have to raise (or pay) $250 to participate. It's free to watch, of course, and over the years, spectating has become part of the day's fun.
The run starts at about 1 p.m., and since the race is short, it's usually over within a half hour. Then it's back to Lir for more partying.

Kelly Fitzgerald, one of the first women to have run the Speedo event, says participants and spectators should expect to be social. After all, she met the man she married at one of the runs. "The first day I saw my husband, he was in a Speedo," Fitzgerald said.

The greatest compliment to the group of friends who originally started this race as a gag is that other cities have copied the idea. Runners in Austin and Toronto have contacted Ianelli about starting up Speedo races in those cities, and the Springfield-area rock station Lazer 99.3 is running its own Santa Speedo race on Sunday in Northampton. Ianelli doesn't mind the copycats.
"As long as they're doing it for charity," he said.

3 comments:

WendyCity Productions said...

I'd assume that running in a Speedo would require a TON of Bodyglide!

Happy Holidays to you and your family, Janeth!!

:) Wendy

runner2b said...

Happy Holidays! This story is very inspirational yet scarey.

-Bananas

runner2b said...

Thanks Janeth your support helps much! The whole talking down about myself is something... I guess I tend to over-do. You're right I should stop I'm a bit over critical on things and yeah... Funny to hear you'd get lost on races though. LOL that makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one.

For my art award, I drew and colored a portrait of my aunt's family to give to her as a gift. I drew it during the summer and started coloring it but I didn't finish it until last month with my art teacher giving me critique. I was happy and got this painting set so yeah =)

How's life with you? I'm sorry about your dog and everything and I hope you enjoyed your Christmas. Running is going OK today I got a little lost on Greys Farm and of course I hit Schaumburg Road instead of Hoover Elementary or something like that. -.- Oh well yeah I would love to hear more about your life and all. I assume you have kids right? Do you influence them with running or anything?

Thanks again and I hope all is well,

Hanan