Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Race Report - Xtreme 10 Miler @ Waterfall Glen - July 21 2007

Xtreme 10 Miler, July 21 2007, 8am
5th Overall
2nd 40 - 45 AG

Xtreme 10 miler is a great race run through Waterfall Glen in Darien, IL. Many of us like to train there because its really a great preserve with a great crushed limestone path and plenty of hills to give a long run something a little extra! This year was the 4th running of this race and gaining in popularity as it is now a CARA circuit race.


For some reason I just didn't feel very enthused about the race this year. I don't feel like I did very well last year when I came here tapered and rested and spent the last half of the race running "backwards" as I was constantly passed - somehow that bad feeling still hung on me. I also came to the race this year planning on this race being more of a "B" race as I wanted to train through this a little because the Chicago Distance Classic Half coming up in August is of more importance to me. This was a scheduled race on my Dick Pond racing team circuit so I was committed to run.

Temps were perfect for today's race and my general plan would be to go out very conservatively and get through the early hills (including "Big Bertha" starting somewhere after the 2 mile marker and ending after the 3 mile marker), then see what I could lay down in the second half of the race. Nell Shields, Christen Meyer, Jenni Goebel, Gert August, and Rachele Hegele from my team plus Suzanne Ryan currently taking no prisoners in any race she has entered this year were present and ready to race.

My friend Jenny Garrison showed up to warm up with me, I did my drills and strides and joined my teammates to the cross country style start at far end of a big field. We talked among ourselves as to what we were going to try for, we wished each other well and we lined up. The gun goes off for this elite wave (3 waves altogether, elite, open men, open women). I went out really easy as the footing is pretty bad and within less than 2 minutes the race narrows onto a small dirt trail and passing is absolutely impossible. That lasted maybe 40 seconds or so and then we are on the main trail and I was able to get settled.

First mile 6:31. That's great I thought since I was really running comfortably and mile two was 6:28. I can see about 3 women ahead of me but I resist the urge to speed up and pass since I know "Big Bertha" is coming up and I had a feeling they were going to come back to me anyway. Insert evil chuckle here. ;-)

Big Bertha comes up, I keep my steps quick and efficient and I don't worry about speed here. There a few level offs during Big Bertha's ascent and I put in little pushes here and I've got my 3 women passed by the end. I thought I would have held out until after Big Bertha but they came back sooner than I had thought and I just went with it. Miles 3 - 6:49, 4 - 6:51, 5 - 6:50. Big Bertha may be big but its really only the start of a series of hills over the rest of the course that definitely brings up the mile splits.

After mile 5 during one of the sharper turns I catch a glimpse of the woman behind me and its Gert one my teammates and also a masters runner. Okay its time to start moving I think to myself, if she hangs with me fine, she's a teammate, but she's going to have to come with me cause I'm not playing anymore. Do I really say these things to myself when I race?....Yup, I'm a dork. The next splits are 6 - 6:43, 7 - 6:36, 8 - 6:39, 9 - 6:37. All hilly but I'm no longer easing up the hills as I concentrate on pulling in as many people as I can. I'm starting to feel significant tightness in my right achilles, in both calves, and I'm fighting off a side stitch (ugh!). I keep the side stitch under control (but it never goes away) and I keep plugging away.

Okay its mile 10. I try to drop the hammer as I only have half a mile before we leave the main trail, run the narrow dirt trail, and re-enter the field and going back to dealing with tall grass and bad footing for about half a mile. I enter the field and surprise of all surprises I hear Andy's voice and my children yelling "Go Mommy!" I had left them all sleeping in their beds this morning!! Even though I'm struggling to keep my pace going though the rough field I do my best to look good for the kids and I give them a quick smile. Mile 10 - 6:47. I finish 2nd Masters runner and 5th overall in 1:06:54. Christen Meyer grabs 1st and Gert grabs 3rd in our age group. Christen ran fast enough to finish in the top 3 overall, very impressive. Suzanne Ryan wins the race easily. My little girl Kyla is the first to give me a hug and offer me a bottle of water. "Mommy you have to drink," she insists. :-) Andy and Erik come next and I'm so happy to see my family.

Initially I was pretty disapointed with my time. Its about what I ran last year and I had thought I could do better even with a more relaxed strategy this year. After another look it turned out to be a nice solid tempo race with the hills I really needed for my training on a beautiful day in a beautiful place with lots of company! :-) I didn't have a super high mileage week but I had put in a really hard tuesday night workout and a solid week and wasn't as rested as I was last year when I really put out all I could...so no grumpy face allowed for this race. Will just have to come back next year?? :-)

Splits: 1 - 6:31, 2 - 6:28, 3 - 6:49, 4 - 6:51, 5 - 6:50, 6 - 6:43, 7 - 6:36, 8 - 6:39, 9 - 6:37, 10 - 6:47.

Next race Chicago Distance Classic, August 12th

Peace everyone,

Runner Girl

1 comment:

Sam said...

Really nice race report, especially the "Go Mommy":) You rock and I suspect, without knowing, you held off a bit b/c of upcoming Distance Classic. As you know, no hills on that one to irritate the achilles.
You'll scorch that baby.
Go girl!!!
And what a perfect day it was for a good solid run.